Monday, January 7, 2019

Piper's first days

      We spent two nights in the hospital after Piper was born. In Germany they do not have soft chairs or couches to sit/sleep on for the spouse like they do in the states and often they share the room with other ladies that have just had a baby. We had to pay extra to have our own room and then even more to have Bret sleep there. We only paid for it the first night though and they just wheeled in another hospital bed for Bret to sleep on. The second night I was on my own, luckily I did not have to share the room with anyone. They never took the bed out that Bret had slept on so I feel like he could have maybe stayed the second night but oh well. In the hospital in Germany the nurses do not come in your room as often which was so nice. At about 10:00 pm they would do their last rounds and then say good night. They were available at night if you needed them but didn't come in every few hours. My all time favorite thing about the German hospital is the baby's bed. It is a half oval bed side crib that one side drops down, I loved it! I don't like the plastic bins in the states because they are up higher and I would have to reach up on my toes a little to put the baby down in it. I just think they are weird. In Germany they also do not put hats on the babies after they are born or swaddle them but they sure do layer then up good, which made diaper changing very annoying. I ended up just keeping one or two layers on and just swaddling her with a blanket I brought most of the time. If she had to go with the nurses to get hearing and all that checked I would put on all the layers. 
       Then to add to all the excitement, the day Piper was born my Brother and Sister in-law flew in. We had time to settle in a little in the morning after she was born and then Bret went and got them from the airport and brought them to the hospital to say hello. It was exciting to see them. The Christman's were watching our kids so Jason brought the kids to the hospital that morning so they could meet Piper. He also took some pictures for us. It was so cute to see the kids meeting Piper. It was just an exciting day all together! I was so exhausted from no sleep and, you know, having a baby but I had a good amount of adrenaline to keep me going.  These pictures are not all necessarily in chronological order but are from the few days we were at the hospital.  

This was at a quiet point during the day. I love holding a sleeping baby! I was in heaven sitting and holding her while the sun came through the window. (also look at the weird clothes on her and the funky ties on it, it was annoying) 
I had to take a picture of this. This is a traditional German breakfast, bread, meat, cheese, and tea. Dinner was similar with lunch being the bigger meal.

The "cute" outfit the hospital puts on them. There are about 3 other layers under the duck one. I brought the hat.

Zed and Piper, looks like she looking for something to eat.

Elyse playing something with the kids.

Thats Bret's bed in the back ground.

They also had some things that are "no no's" in the states like the drop side crib, bumpers and the small duvet. 















No comments: